Mathematics education varies from states to states; each state applies mathematical education in the way that suits them.
New South Wales
Education in New South Wales contains a wide range of mathematical courses. This mathematical education is offered for certain reasons. Four courses offered for Higher Educational Certificate board include:
- General Mathematics– this encompasses pre-calculus concepts. The course explains on some of the principles we use in our daily lives.
- Pure mathematics-this is an advanced level course that is based on a detailed study of calculus, locus, curve sketching, trigonometry and other sophisticated algebraic disciplines.
- Mathematics Extension 1– explaining some basic concepts in polynomials, trigonometry, calculus and basic combinatory. Some institutions study mathematics in conjunction with this aspect of study.
- Mathematics Extension 2- this is an advanced program containing advanced calculus, complex numbers, advanced polynomials, curve sketching, harder mathematics extension, conics, and lots more. Most students are assessed based on their understanding of mathematics extension 2 principles.
Mathematics is offered to these students for their integral and mental developments, to develop their abilities and aptitudes. Four courses provided for this study include:
- Foundation Mathematics (2 Units) this entails basic and learning about some mathematical skills.
- Further Mathematics (4 units) – this course deals with the following topics, trigonometry, matrices, business-related mathematics, geometry, straight line and other concepts.
- Mathematical methods ( 4 units)- this study deals with concepts like circular functions, integral calculus, differential calculus, probability, circular functions, real variables and many more.
- Specialist Mathematics (2 units)- this is the most complex mathematical course in Victoria. This subject covers a wide range of areas including mechanics, vector calculus, kinematics, differential equations, complex numbers, conic sections and so on. This subject is more remarkable than ordinary mathematical subjects.
In Queensland, mathematical curriculum is divided into three categories namely; Mathematics A, Mathematics B, and Mathematics C. We shall discuss each of them:
This is the simplest of all the three; it is aimed at teaching students the core value of mathematics to humanity. Students can apply the principles learnt here to other facets of life like recreational and business activities.
Assessment in this subject includes summative, formative, practical work and assignment. Mathematics A is a pre-requisite for entering into other tertiary institutions, to find out more check out the following Australian Curriculum maths website. Australian curriculum maths is popular because the studies one can learn here include data analysis, applied geometry, managing money, land measurement, statistics, navigation etc.
This subject is harder than the first one. In some schools, students study this same course with Maths A or Maths C, but not studying both at the same time.
The topic of this complex mathematics gives students a perfect understanding of principles and methods of mathematics- these methods and principles can be perfectly applied to concrete life situations and mathematical contexts.
The courses one can learn in this subject include periodic functions, applied statistics, functions ( absolute value, quadratic and linear), exploring data / statistics, indices, integral calculus, integration, log and exponential functions, optimization using derivatives, applied statistical analysis, differential calculus and logarithms.
This is the hardest of the three. This study exposes students to the complex methods and principles of mathematics as well as the capacity to analyze them in concrete life situations. The skills students can learn in here would be found in economic and business degrees. A great way to establish your child’s knowledge of the mathematics curriculum is for them to study it further at home. Visit the following mental maths online store. Mental maths has become accessible online and can help your child achieve outstanding results to help them succeed in their education.
This course is divided into different segments such as structures & patterns, vectors, matrices, real & complex numbers, dynamics, option 1 & 11 etc.